Kashmiri Wadoo enjoying stint with Chennaiyin

Tuesday, 22 November 2016
Abinesh H

The best right-back of ISL-2, Mehrajuddin Wadoo, has made himself almost indispensable in the team sheet. He was a vital part of Chennaiyin FC's winning squad last year. The 32-year-old player from Srinagar has played for clubs like Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Salgaocar.
Wadoo's experience and skills has earned him the captain's arm band this season. He has also become Marco Materazzi's most trusted defender. Wadoo has started every match this season and is expected to play the rest as well. 
Wadoo shared his thoughts with 'News Today'. Excerpts from the interview.
Q: You started off as a striker but are now a defender, how did the transition happen?
A: In school, I was a striker. In 2001, my coach played me in the wingback position. I've also played in other positions. Played in defensive midfield as well. In ISL, when I played for Pune FC, I was needed in wing-back position. 
Q: How was it when you scored against Bangladesh in SAFF Cup finals in 2005?
A: It is one of my best moments. A definite career highlight for me.
Q: Working with the likes of Marco Materazzi, Bernand Mendy and Riise, what defensive tips did you take from them?
A: Materazzi treats everyone in the same manner. Yes, we do discuss defensive strategy. All of us learn from each other and that's how we've grown into a team. We defend as a team and attack as one. 
Q: How is the scenario in Kashmir?
A: It was very hard to even get my passport. With the curfew imposed, training itself was hard. One month was a bad situation. As I travelled to Italy for the pre-season training, my family's concern was the only thing running through my head. It was mentally frustrating for me but I had to buck up and give my best for the team.
Q: What is best about Chennai?
A: Masala Dosa. It is my favourite south Indian dish.  
(Follow us on Twitter @NTChennai, FB page News Today)

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comment